Friday, August 14, 2009

Empty Nest

As much as Allison and I have prepared to take our youngest daughter off to college at Valdosta State University four hours away, we still wept and cried all the way home. We had taken our son back to UGA ten days ago where he is a junior. But this was different. This was our little girl!

James and Allison at UGA

Don't get me wrong, we are grateful to the Lord that our kids are able to attend college, have the opportunities they have, and are fine, decent, moral, and spiritual individuals. But we like being with our kids. We have good relationships with them. They are fun. From the day they were born, we both have been hands-on parents. We have attempted to raise godly, principled, and self-sufficient human beings. And we know this is good!! But....

it doesn't remove the pain
it doesn't take away the necessary grieving
it doesn't remove the reality of letting go


Rebekah and Dad in her Dorm Room

I was mostly weepy on the way home, but when I walked into the house and saw an item of Rebekah's that she always had on her key chain, I broke down and cried like a baby. I know this is part of life and that we will get through it. I know that that Lord has GREAT things in store for Allison and me during this next phase of our lives.


Allison and Rebekah in her room at VSU

And I know that our kids will be o.k. But right now we are both praying for the Comforter (the Holy Spirit) to fill the empty spot in our hearts and home now that the smiling vessel of joy which hung around our house is four hours away.

Psalm 127:3 -- "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children are a reward from Him."




Publish Post

No comments:

Post a Comment