Monday, June 20, 2011

Airport Adventures

A few weeks ago I had to fly to Virginia for a bishop's function.  Having lived in Atlanta most of my life and having a wife who was a flight attendant, I usually know my way around.  I usually plan on extra time to make sure I am always at the gate at least 30 minutes before the flight is supposed to leave.

On this trip to the airport, I left in plenty of time allowing for traffic, etc.  Well sure enough, the expressway was clogged up, and that put me behind schedule. When I arrived at the Park and Fly lot, I still had plenty of time to catch the plane.  I parked and stepped onto the shuttle van and the lady gave me my parking receipt.  But we just sat there!  After about 7 or 8 minutes, I asked her why we were not going anywhere.  She said, "Oh, you need to get on that one over there."  ???  So I unloaded my luggage and when over to the other shuttle.  Sat down.  And then we just sat for another five minutes!

When I arrived at the security checkpoint, time is starting to get tight.  I looked at the line and said to myself, "Good, a short line."  After I got in the line, it did not move.  The minutes kept ticking away.  I am starting to sweat now.  The man in front of me was gracious and let me ahead of him.  Once through the security area, I began to run.  I even ran down the escalator to the subway leading to the terminals.  I heard the "voice" at the subway train saying, "the doors are closing."  I leaped in just in time to which two ladies laughed at me and said, "You just made it!"  I looked at my watch and said, "we'll see."  At which, they laughed again.  When the subway train arrived at the correct terminal, I went into a full sprint (even up the escalator!) all the way to the gate.  I arrived just before they were closing the doors.  Walked in and sat down, and said "thank you Lord!"

Today, I am flying out to California.  I allowed even more extra time today.  Everything is going well, and then the underground subway train stops in between stops.  We just sit there.  Minute after minute goes by!  I am three minutes away from pulling the emergency door release, and the train begins to move.  I arrive at the gate two minutes before the doors close.

Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do His pleasure -- Psalm 37:5


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight -- Proverbs 3:5,6


Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him -- Psalm 37:7

1 comment: